Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The feast of San Gennaro

The feast of San Gennaro is a commemorative festival for the patron saint Gennaro aka Saint Januarius of Naples, Italy. This feastival is centered on Mulberry Street in the Little Italy section of NYC, which is closed to traffic for the occasion, the festival generally features parades, street vendors, sausages, games and zeppoles...YUMM!

The feast started in New York City on September, 1926 when newly arrived immigrants from Naples settled along Mulberry Street in Little Italy. In order to continue the tradition they had followed in Italy to celebrate San Gennaro as the Patron Saint of Naples. The festival which began as a one day event has expanded and is now an 11-day street fair beginning on the second Thursday in September as an annual celebration of Italian culture and the Italian-American community.

Here are some of the shots I took of this amazing commemoration and some shots of it's surrounding area's (SOHO and China Town)!

3 comments:

  1. I can digg those pictures that yu took there crazy phresh;but hello my name is Chris beautifal lady. Follow my blog and ill show return you the gesture

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks sooooo fun!
    iLOVE streetfairs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like the last two best! :) interesting shots.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment you are about to leave! I deeply appreciate it! I'll be visiting yours soon!